5.03.2006

The Costco challenge

I went to Costco the other day, believe it or not, one of my more favorite places to go. This time, I had a plan. This time though, I had a challenge.
We all know the typical Costco challenge. Can you really make it through the whole store without spending $100. No mere mortal can, that's for sure. I decided to go one step further.

Can I make it through Costco, and not only spend less than $100, but get an ample amount of food (2-3 weeks), AND... oh mom, you're going to be so proud... not get anything that could be deemed unhealthy.

Edited subconsciously: He's an idiot

Okay. So away I go. I take three steps and get distracted by the big screen TV's. I guess technically they can't be deemed "unhealthy FOOD", yet I don't think I'm going to find anything I want under $100. I move on.

Next up. Pastries & Muffins. Oh man. Poppy Seed, Blueberry, .. Chocolate... I pick up the pace, and my cart is still empty! Okay, okay. So I'm passed the hardest unhealthy section - but now I look like I'm more apt to actually walk through all of costco with an empty cart. I think people are starting to stare at me.

I move on. Bananas. Perfect. I have my first item... and its healthy! Ahaha. I can do this! Okay, focus. I know I had some great salmon, now to find it. Easy enough, its right on an end cap... next to the big stack of hamburger patties... I look down at my cart to see that I managed to just grab the salmon. Crazy. I move quickly now.

Mahi Mahi over Chimichangas
Honey Bunches O'Oats over Captain Crunch
Diet Dr. Pepper over Mt. Dew

I was winning, and I was amassing enough food to last me a couple weeks. One last stop to grab some ibuprofen - doctor recommended for my wrist. Whatever. $7 bucks for 750 pills, I can handle that.

I get to the checkout. I do a quick scan of everything I collected. It was all healthly... and it was sufficent for a couple weeks.

Total: $104.74 .. I failed.

Damn you ibuprofen. Damn you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

750 ibuthingies? Your liver is toast, buddy! Enjoy the mahi mahi while you still can!