7.06.2006

Fiscal expenditure = commitment

You would probably assume by the title most likely I'm talking about my house, or maybe a needy girlfriend (I'll give you one guess which one is more expensive). Though I'm actually talking about just one of the steps I'm taking to make some huge changes in my life.

About four months ago I took the GMAT. A test that gives you a basic placement of those looking to receive an MBA. As with most tests, I did just fine. And by just fine, I mean, pretty darn good. Initially I expected to get my MBA from UW, a school that has already excepted me, though with some extremely generous support from the 'rents, I have decided to look a bit further.

I've decided to look in Europe.

So that was step #1. Next was trying to pick a school. IMD, London School of Business, IESE, INSEAD, St. Gallen, etc. Honestly I was a bit lost. I wasn't aware that the top end school (across the world) all have a specialization they aim for. Its not just "we rock at mba's", its "we're the leader at cultural aware managers", or "we're the only school to offer 2nd year courses in multiple languages". Luckily I had Walt Renfree (my mom's cousin) to help. He's a graduate of IMD, and has colleagues from just about all the rest of them.

This is when I made the first roadblock discovery. I'm unilingual. Or as some would say, American. That immediately dropped me out of IMD (average of 3-4 languages per student), and INSEAD (bilingual required for admission). Frustated? Yeah, I was a bit. The irony was Walts response, "I totally forgot about the language requirement." hmm. So dream dead?

No. Time for some fiscal expenditure. Time for a commitment.

1) Pimsleur Spanish I 1
2) Easy Spanish Phrase Book: Over 770 Basic Phrases for Everyday Use
3) One Thousand and One Most Useful Spanish Words

Yes. I'm going to (re)learn espanol. I'm tired of being that typical american, and I really was ticked off when I saw specifically holding me back from doing something.

All said and done, the damage is ~$210 bucks. The Pimsleur course is a 52 CD, 3 part set, so I still have a good $400 bucks to plop down, but lets just get me through these first set of CD's.

So the goal is still there. A high end business school in Europe for my MBA. Right now IESE in Barcelona is top on my list, followed by IMD and INSEAD (though as it stands right now, both of those are not "available" to me).

Hopefully soon you'll see some blogs in both english and elementary level spanish. One can hope.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Felicidades por haber tomado el primer paso. Sería tan bonito poder realizar este sueño tuyo. Estarás hablando el castellano rápido rápido - ya verás!

Bryce said...

You want me to do what with a tomato?



=)

Thanks Cami. Something about congradulations on my first step, realizing my dream and speaking spanaish soon.

Not too bad for only using babelfish on paso.

Jo said...

Wow!!! What requirements!! Good for you going for your dreams. I really admire and respect that. And why are you still single? I still don't get that!!!

Jo said...

Speaking of, I really need to brush up on my Japanese. What ever happened to my dreams?? Child and marriage and divorce? hehehe