8.18.2008

iPhone is brilliant

(Please do not call my old cell - it is work only now. If you do not have my new phone number, let me know... its my number I've had since I was 12).

For a very long time I have said Apple hardware is overpriced and overhyped. I'll give Steven Jobs his due, he's been really good at the hype machine. I, stand here today though, completely corrected. When the iPhone first came out, I was very much in the camp of "overpriced and overhyped".

Its still overhyped, but now at $199, I can't really say its overpriced. For the last year I have been using a VX6700 through Verizon, and anyone that has talked to me knows that I absolutely HATE that phone. Its looks like an bloated oreo, and very often than I care to admit to, it runs like you'd expect a Windows machine to run. Half the time when someone calls that phone, the ringer breaks up as the phone it so overloaded with crap that it doesn't have the processor power left to RING.

Okay, enough about how much I hate my old phone - its my old phone because I bought an iPhone (3g, 8gb). You've seen the commercials, and I had just about every high hope you could imagine. I expected pretty much everything to be flawless and intuitive.

Conclusion: I have never been so impressed with a single piece of technology in my life. It is half the thickness of my soggy oreo, yet somehow manages to do everything you ask of it. I keep thinking of new things I would like it to do, and it just does it. I've been consistently shocked the last week+.

So what have I asked my little "phone" to do?

  • Manage all my email account with greater easy than I can do on my computer.
  • Pull up a youtube video that my parents were going on about
  • Record the horsepower, 0-60, and 1/4 mile times in my car
  • Keep me entertained with reflex games, and old school labyrinth marble games
  • Have a battery life that goes longer than expected (I'm on a 3rd day of usage)
  • Access and play all my downloaded videos through TVersity
I could go on (and I will as I work and play through more applications for the phone), but its simply not a phone. For the first time I really feel like I have a full out mobile computer in my hand that doesn't really sacrifice what its supposed to be there for (phone).

If you have an iPhone - and have some favorite applications, leave a comment. I'm going to be doing some more detailed "why its awesome, why its not" application reviews for the iPhone (as I know a couple of my readers do have one, and a couple that are thinking about getting one).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Me too! I just got a white one on August 12th! I've downloaded 7 Apps so far, and right now my favorite is "Shazam". It identifies songs you hear on the radio: title, album, artist, ect. I wish I could write about my phone on my blog...but I want to keep my job. ;)

Kristy said...

My fave apps so far are Shazam, Star Map, and most recently Simplify Media.. You can stream music from the computers of up to 30 different friends. It's amazing.